We Treat Sprains & Strains in Lanham, MD
Helping You Recover from Injuries
Injuries can result from many different circumstances. You may be an avid athlete and sustain an injury while training or competing. You may have tripped and fallen or twisted a joint wrong while going about daily activities. No matter how your injury occurred, it can have a significant impact on your life. The team at Effective Chiropractic PG County can help you recover from injuries like sprains and strains. Our practice in Lanham, MD takes a holistic approach to healing, helping you achieve relief from your injury and get back to your daily life. Please reach out to us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.
What Is a Sprain?
A sprain is an injury that occurs to a ligament, which is the tissue that connects two or more bones at a joint. When you sustain a sprain, one of more ligaments is stretched or torn, causing pain and discomfort. Sprains can lead to lasting problems if not addressed by a medical professional.
What Is a Strain?
A strain is an injury that occurs to a muscle or tendon, which are the fibrous cords of tissue that connect muscle to bone. When you experience a strain, the muscle or tendon is torn or stretched too far, resulting in pain that makes it hard to move. Strains should be treated by a medical professional to facilitate proper healing and recovery.
Symptoms of a Sprain or Strain
Though many people confuse sprains and strains or use the terms interchangeably, they are two very different injuries. Therefore, the symptoms are also somewhat different. While visiting a doctor is the best way to determine what type of injury you have, you may also be able to determine your injury based on the symptoms you exhibit. Both strains and sprains will cause pain and discomfort but in different ways. If you sprained a joint, you’ll often experience pain, swelling, bruising, and will likely not be able to use the joint. If you’ve strained a muscle or tendon, you may experience muscle spasms, swelling, cramping, or trouble moving.
The Most Common Causes of Sprain & Strain Injuries
Sprains and strains can be caused by many different actions, even ones that aren’t overly intense or extreme. It’s important to know the common causes of strains and sprains so that you’re able to identify when you may have experienced one. This will allow you to determine when you should visit a doctor or other healthcare professional. Sprains and strains most commonly occur in the following ways:
- Sprains: Sprains most often occur when there is twisting of a joint or forced overstretch of the ligaments, also know as hyperextension or hyperflexion. The most common causes of sprains are twisting of the ankle or knee or falling on an elbow or shoulder.
- Strains: An acute strain can be caused by sudden twisting or trauma to the muscle or tendon. Strains can also become chronic, resulting from overuse of the muscles or tendons. Chronic strains are most common in athletes who are constantly training without adequate rest.
When you experience a strain or sprain, you may assume it will heal on its own with adequate rest. However, it’s usually best to seek the care of a medical professional to ensure your injury heals properly and does not cause lasting discomfort. Some of the most effective ways to treat your sprain or strain include:
- Chiropractic Care: Chiropractic sessions can treat sprains and strains by manipulating the affected areas to help reduce pain, improve motion, and decrease muscle spasms.
- Massage Therapy: Massages by a licensed therapist will help to improve blood circulation to ease pain and reduce recovery time.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is an ancient treatment used to promote healing using strategically placed needles in the patient’s body. It can increase blood flow and help to reduce pain.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is used to train your body to reduce the chance of a recurrence of your injury. It uses a series of exercises to strengthen areas of the body.
How Chiropractic Care Can Treat Sprains & Strains
Chiropractic adjustments can treat sprains and strains through manual manipulation of the affected areas. A chiropractor will be able to identify the injury and build a comprehensive treatment plan to reduce pain and aid in healing. These treatment plans may include regular adjustments that help to realign the body as well as strengthening exercises to help reduce recurrent injuries. Because sprains and strains stretch or tear ligaments and tissues, you’re more likely to experience repeat injuries. Our team can help you avoid this problem and ensure you’re able to get back to your daily life and activities. We can tell you more about how our chiropractic services can help you once we know more about your injury.
Estimated Recovery Time
Recovery time for both sprains and strains can vary greatly depending on what area you injured and the severity of the injury. For some people, recovery may only take a few weeks, while others may need several months. Once we know more about your injury, we can build a customized treatment plan and give you a better idea of recovery time.
Schedule an Appointment
If you recently sustained an injury and are worried it could be a strain or sprain, it’s important to seek care from a qualified professional. Our chiropractic team is here to help you feel better and recover faster. Please reach out to us today to schedule an appointment, where you’ll have time to discuss your injury and build a treatment plan.