Get Relief from Headaches & Migraines with Chiropractic Care
Effective Chiropractic PG County Offers Treatment
Headaches and migraines are incredibly disruptive to daily life. Nearly everyone experiences occasional head pain, but when headaches and migraines happen frequently, they can interfere with your ability to work, be present for family, and enjoy favorite activities with friends. In addition to head pain, headaches and migraines can cause nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, and mood swings.
Although many people turn to painkillers for headache and migraine relief, these medications treat the symptoms, not the root cause. True headache and migraine relief comes from treating those root causes through chiropractic care, so you can not only manage today’s headache or migraine, but also reduce the chances of experiencing more in the future. At Effective Chiropractic PG County, our experienced providers offer this kind of headache and migraine relief in Lanham, Maryland.
Comparing Headaches and Migraines
The first step in treatment is determining if you are experiencing headaches or migraines. Headaches tend to affect both sides of the head and may cause pain behind the eyes. They may cause dull, aching pain, or muscle tension or soreness.
Migraines tend to cause severe, sharp pain on one side of the head. The pain may travel down that side of the head into the neck. Migraines are frequently accompanied by other symptoms, including sensitivity to light and sound, nausea, and vomiting. Migraine mood swings are also very common. Migraine pain is often debilitating, and sufferers frequently cannot perform their usual activities until the pain subsides.
Stages of Migraines
Another way to recognize migraines and distinguish them from other kinds of headaches is to recognize their stages. There are four migraine stages:
- Prodrome: This pre-migraine period happens a day or two before a migraine and can be subtle. It includes sign like mood changes, increased thirst and urination, frequent yawning, food cravings, and constipation.
- Aura: Not everyone experiences this stage, but for some people, auras occur shortly before a migraine begins. Auras are usually visual disturbances, but may also include auditory symptoms, pins and needles, and uncontrollable movement.
- Attack: This is the period of time in which the headache pain is most intense. Migraines can last for as little as four hours and as long as 72 hours.
- Post-drome: After the headache pain passes, migraine sufferers usually feel fatigued or confused. In some cases, people experience elation. Headache pain can recur during post-drome with sudden head movements.
Types of Headache and Migraine Relief
Chiropractic treatment for headaches and migraines in Lanham, MD offers the possibility for long-term relief without invasive treatments and medications. Some of the services we provide for headaches and migraines include:
- Spinal manipulation: This treatment is performed to relieve pressure in the back that can spur headaches and migraines.
- Muscle therapy: Muscle tension is a frequent contributor to headaches and migraines. We provide personalized muscle therapy to help.
- Acupressure: For this treatment, we provide manual pressure to specific points in the body to help with pain relief. Migraine pressure points can be targeted during acupressure to provide maximum relief.
We also provide a wealth of knowledge to our patients to help them deal with headaches and migraines without medications, including strengthening exercises, assistance with identifying headache and migraine triggers, and customized stretches.
Choose Effective Chiropractic for Headache & Migraine Relief
We offer complete chiropractic services in Lanham, Maryland, for a range of conditions, including headache and migraine relief. Our team of experts combine customized chiropractic care with other supportive therapies, such as physical therapy and hydromassage to help you feel your best. Take the first step towards headache and migraine relief by contacting us for an appointment today.