What Is Arthritis, and What Causes It?
Arthritis is a painful medical condition affecting your joints and the cartilage (connective tissue) found in your joints. Aging and wear-and-tear on your joints often causes arthritis, but this isn’t always the case. Autoimmune disorders and severe infections are the cause of some forms of arthritis. There are more than 200 different types of arthritis that have been identified so far, including rheumatoid arthritis, infectious arthritis, osteoarthritis, and juvenile arthritis. The type of arthritis you have and the severity of your condition typically impact the intensity and frequency of pain you may experience. If you could use arthritis relief in the Lanham, MD area, contact Effective Chiropractic PG County to see how our chiropractors may be able to help alleviate your pain.
Who’s Most Likely to Develop Arthritis?
There’s a misconception that only the senior population has to worry about arthritis. While it’s true that a significant portion of the population over the age of 65 do eventually develop some form of arthritis, anyone is susceptible to developing this condition, including children, teens, and young adults. Juvenile arthritis is an autoimmune disease affecting children who are 16 years old or younger. Causes of juvenile arthritis include genetics, infections, and even certain environmental triggers. Research indicates that arthritis is more common in women than men and among those who are overweight. Your risk for developing arthritis may also increase if there’s a history of arthritis in your family.
Recognizing the Early Symptoms of Arthritis
The earlier you’re diagnosed with arthritis, the more successfully you can manage it or prevent its painful progression, as most arthritis symptoms tend to worsen over time. Some individuals experience a gradual development of symptoms, while others may experience a sudden onslaught of them. Here are some early warning signs commonly associated with arthritis to watch out for:
- Joint pain or tenderness
- Joint swelling, inflammation, or redness
- Joint stiffness (especially when you wake up or when you’ve been sitting for hours)
- Loss of joint function/range of motion
- Joint deformities
- Fatigue or a general lack of energy
- Ongoing fever/chills
- Depression, irritability, and mood swings
- Unexplained loss of appetite/weight loss
- Limping not caused by a broken bone, fracture, or sprain
- Bone spurs (formations of lumps around your joints)
- Sharp pains throughout your body
- Grinding sensations when moving your joints
How Arthritis Is Typically Diagnosed in Adults & Children
Because many of the symptoms of arthritis can be linked to other medical conditions, it’s often difficult to diagnose. Your primary physician may order lab tests on your blood or urine, including a blood count to rule out other types of infections such as Lyme disease or leukemia. X-rays may be necessary to rule out the possibility of a break or fracture causing your limp, or a bone scan may be ordered to examine changes in your bones and joints in greater detail. A physical exam may be performed to check for signs of fluid or inflammation around your joints. Recommended medical treatments for arthritis include chiropractic, physical therapy and medications such as analgesics, corticosteroids, and anti-inflammatory drugs. Severe arthritis may require surgery to replace your joint with an artificial one in your hip or knee. Many studies have shown the benefits of chiropractic treatment as part of your arthritis treatment plan. It helps alleviate joint pain and reduce the swelling and inflammation usually associated with this condition.
Benefits of Our Chiropractic Treatment for Arthritis Relief
Many people with arthritis seek solace from heating pads and ice packs to alleviate their joint pain. However, more patients at Effective Chiropractic PG County are discovering the benefits of our chiropractic treatment for arthritis relief in Lanham, MD, which include:
- Reduction in Pain/Discomfort – While it varies from patient to patient, routine chiropractic care generally produces a significant decrease in pain for many patients with arthritis. We may recommend several types of chiropractic treatment to provide the most effective pain relief, including dry needling therapy or spinal manipulation to correct a misalignment.
- Improved Range of Motion – Chiropractic adjustments may help restore mobility to stiff joints.
- Decreased Inflammation – Because chiropractic care often helps restore nervous system function, it may also reduce inflammation in your joints.
- Less Reliance on Medications – One of the biggest benefits of seeking chiropractic care is the holistic approach we take to your healthcare. Our chiropractors seek natural methods of healing with less reliance on habit-forming medications or invasive surgeries. By helping you develop necessary dietary and lifestyle changes, we can help you prevent the progression of arthritis.
Seeking Arthritis Relief in Lanham, MD? Call Us Today!
Would you like to learn more about how our chiropractic care at Effective Chiropractic PG County provides arthritis relief in Lanham, MD? Talk to a member of our staff today to discuss your treatment options or to schedule an appointment. To see if chiropractic care is right for you, the chiropractors at Effective Chiropractic PG County will perform a consultation. We will also refer you to diagnostic imaging if necessary based on the findings of our chiropractic exam and consultation. We may elect to co-treat your arthritis with other healthcare professionals.